Senior Director of Development (Eastern)
This position will work on our Origination and Development team to develop Utility Scale Solar and Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) projects in the Eastern region of the US.
Adapture Renewables, Inc. is an expert in developing, financing, engineering, building, and operating utility-scale photovoltaic systems. Drawing upon an extensive knowledge base, we realize projects with speed, flexibility, and high quality. Our team is looking for a talented Senior Director of Development to help support the efforts of our fast-growing company. The position will be based in our Oakland, California office. Adapture Renewables, Inc. is majority owned by KIRKBI – the private holding and investment company of the Kirk Kristiansen family founded to build a sustainable future for the LEGO® brand through generations.
This position will work in our team and will work on our Origination and Development team to develop Utility Scale Solar and Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) projects in the Eastern region of the US. The Senior Director will drive the growth of our business in this region by creating and executing on strategic initiatives to achieve the company’s targeted growth objectives and will be the commercial and project leader in originating and developing large-scale solar and BESS projects.
- Implement the project development strategy for the Eastern region of US platform to support the growth objectives of the organization, aligned with the company’s investment strategy and goals.
- Maintain strong networks with energy industry representatives and key stakeholders in the area to prospect for and originate development project opportunities.
- Plan and execute all project development in the Eastern region including greenfield, partnership and acquisition opportunities (with the support of the Mergers and Acquisitions team) from identification of opportunity through completion.
- Articulate clearly and document the business case for project development opportunities, providing a solid understanding of overall risks, benefits, and returns to gain support for the investments in solar/storage projects. Prepare presentations to senior management and/or the Investment Committee as need to achieve investment approval.
- Lead all project development activities by coordinating with a multi-disciplinary team of internal company resources and external consultants to bring projects to full notice to proceed, including the prospecting for new sites, integrating acquired projects into the development pipeline, and managing real estate, resource assessment, interconnection, permitting processes, regulatory/community outreach, and economic analysis.
- Coordinate with the Project Finance team to ensure that the deal structure, economic, and tax assumptions are properly analyzed. Ensure that all commercial conditions are in place to meet underwriting assumptions and support the Project Finance team to secure financing of the project.
- In coordination with the Power Marketing / Research team, lead commercial power offtake activities in the Eastern region to identify offtake counterparts and secure long-term Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) for development assets.
- Monitor projects through EPC and start of operations (first two operating years) to assess performance against underwriting assumptions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Business, Engineering, Legal, Science or related field.
- Minimum 10+ years professional experience in the energy industry in senior roles within business development and/or project development functions.
- Strong commercial background and mindset; ability to conceptualize returns with extensive experience in project development and a demonstrated record of identifying and originating business opportunities and ability to determine their key value drivers and alignment with business objectives.
- Strong negotiation skills. Ability to present points of view in an effective way, representing well the interests and position of the organization and gain support for ideas.
- Strong team approach. Ability to work with different teams in the organization to ensure sound management of project development opportunities from the identification process to the integration of new assets in the organization.
- Solid knowledge of the renewable power sector, its key stakeholders and regulatory environment.
- Well established network of contacts with industry stakeholders, on the ground developers, off-takers, government representatives and financial stakeholders in the renewable energy industry.
- Strong business acumen. Ability to quickly assess the potential value and risks of a business opportunity and prioritize potential project development opportunities accordingly.
- Experience developing and originating new business opportunities for utility-scale power and infrastructure projects in the Eastern U.S., including the siting, permitting, and interconnection of electric power projects (other technologies are acceptable e.g., storage, solar, wind, gas, etc.).
- Excellent project management skills.
- Knowledge of the engineering, procurement, and construction of major power or infrastructure projects.
- Experience taking renewable energy projects from conception to completion, with impressive track record in originating and developing bankable renewable energy projects.
- Experience in corporate structuring, financial structuring, negotiating, and closing joint venture and acquisition opportunities
- Applied understanding of financial modeling (DCF).
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Competitive health, vision, and dental benefits
- Attractive personal time off and company holiday package
- Work-from-home policy
- Salary commensurate with experience
Qualified candidates only. Adapture Renewables, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity.
How to apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.
Our contact details
Adapture Renewables, Inc.
1901 Harrison Street, Suite 1630, Oakland, CA 94612