Director of Interconnection & Transmission
This person oversees all matters related to the interconnection process, from analysis of the interconnection procedures, queue, and transmission system in a given RTO/ISO in order to guide greenfield project site selection to preparing and managing interconnection requests.
Adapture Renewables, Inc. is an expert in developing, financing, engineering, building, and operating utility-scale photovoltaic systems. Drawing upon an extensive knowledge base, we realize projects with speed, flexibility, and high quality. Our Development team is looking for a talented Director of Interconnection & Transmission to help support the efforts of our fast-growing company. The position will be based in our Oakland, California office. Adapture Renewables, Inc. is majority owned by KIRKBI – the private holding and investment company of the Kirk Kristiansen family founded to build a sustainable future for the LEGO® brand through generations.
This position will work in our Development team and this person oversees all matters related to the interconnection process, from analysis of the interconnection procedures, queue, and transmission system in a given RTO/ISO in order to guide greenfield project site selection to preparing and managing interconnection requests through execution of interconnection agreements with the most favorable terms possible. This person works with the Development team to optimize a solar project’s interconnection queue position throughout the development lifecycle. The position will report to the Sr. VP of Development and Origination.
- Spearhead internal and external technical discussions as well as design work pertaining to utility interconnection, optimizing reliability and controlling costs.
- Negotiate utility interconnection requirements and lead the integration and application of such requirements on a project-by-project basis.
- Implement processes and procedures to systemically improve the quality of interconnection documents.
- Manage various external consultants.
- Develop cost estimates for complex interconnections.
- Collaborate with multiple teams (Development, Finance, Engineering, Construction, Asset Management).
- During the construction stage of projects, monitor the progress of required system upgrades and identify creative mitigation solutions, when needed, within the applicable open access transmission tariff.
- Perform tasks independently and with minimal guidance from senior management, applying professional judgment based on experience and training.
- Maintain deep knowledge of the discipline, staying current on new methods.
- Create and improve design tools and templates.
Qualifications and Experience
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 7+ years of experience in renewable or traditional energy development or transmission planning.
- Previous employment or experience working with WECC area utilities, with a preference towards CAISO, SCE, PG&E, or consultants providing services within those footprints is strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of relevant electrical codes & standards (IEEE, ANSI, NEC, CSA, NFPA, IEC, API)
- Familiarity with the Open Access Transmission Tariffs and Generator Interconnection Procedures for WECC utilities and adjacent regions.
- Familiarity with ISO/RTO system modeling, such as PSSE, PROMOD, or other similar transmission modeling.
- Ability to look critically at a problem set, identify unique solutions, and influence change.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills – to be applied across the organization and externally, including the ability to confidently and effectively explain engineering requirements, including to non-technical audiences. High level of expertise with Microsoft Office Suite, with emphasis on Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to perform quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Ability to analyze power flow and system impact studies for interconnection of utility scale solar and battery storage generating facilities.
- Ability to coordinate and lead the review of transmission curtailment and basis risk study assessments with external consultants and provide feedback internally and recommend options to pursue for proposed points of interconnection to the Development and management teams.
- Ability to complete and prepare utility interconnection request applications or lead and coordinate the preparation of interconnection request applications with external consultants, as required.
- Familiarity with transmission systems and transmission expansion plans in US, including utility Integrated Resource Plans and implications on transmission/distribution networks.
- Experience with power system studies, relay coordination, protection & control, and grounding analysis.
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Competitive health, vision, and dental benefits
- Attractive personal time off and company holiday package
- Work-from-home policy
- Salary commensurate with experience
Qualified candidates only. No recruiters. Must have the legal ability to work in the US. Ability to lift 50 lbs. 90% of time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (frequent use of various Microsoft software/programs), phones, and general office equipment. 10% of time is spent outside of the office visiting project sites and attending various conferences and meetings. Adapture Renewables, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity.
How to apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.
Our contact details
Adapture Renewables, Inc.
1901 Harrison Street, Suite 1630, Oakland, CA 94612